As members of the Modern Enigma Society, we agree to adhere to this Code at all times, particularly during club activities and when communicating with other members:
- Harassment or discrimination based on race, gender, gender expression, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, color, disability status, or physical/mental limitations is prohibited. Anyone subjected to, witnessing, or becoming aware of such harassing or discriminatory behavior is encouraged to report it to MES officers or the Board of Directors.
- All MES members are expected to behave and act in a civil, respectful, honest, and responsible manner at all times, particularly towards other MES members and during club activities.
- MES is a private organization that will enforce standards and expectations set out in its Bylaws, Constitution, Membership Handbook and other MES rules, policies, or procedures that it may have. MES does not and will not investigate or enforce matters or allegations outside of that purview. Anyone who believes any local, state, or federal law has been violated should report such allegation to the appropriate authorities.
- Use, possession, or distribution of drugs or substances that are illegal under local, state, or federal laws are prohibited. The consumption of alcohol by those of legal drinking age is permitted but MES Officers have the authority to prohibit the consumption of alcohol at certain events. Being under the influence of alcohol or other drugs or substances (e.g. prescription medications) does not excuse any behavior that violates this Code of Conduct or the Membership Handbook and can lead to disciplinary action, including removal from the event and/or club.
- Non-consensual physical contact is strictly prohibited. Weapons, overly realistic weapons props, stunting, consumption of blood, or any other activities a MES officer or the Board of Directors deems possible to cause physical harm or discomfort are prohibited. The presiding Coordinator at MES events has the discretion and authority to prohibit such activities or items.
- Real-life takes precedence over MES games, stories, and activities. MES games are works of fantasy and fiction and members are expected to remember that. If anyone feels that the distinction between real-life and game starts to blur, that person is expected to communicate that concern to an MES officer or the Board of Directors who will work with that person to take steps to address those concerns, including taking time off to put things back into proper perspective.
Zero Tolerance Policy
The Modern Enigma Society is committed to providing members with a social environment free from behavior that creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive atmosphere. Engaging in any kind of unwelcome conduct is prohibited and all allegations will be taken seriously. This includes all unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature.
Other derogatory or offensive comments or conduct, including those involving race, gender or gender expression, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, color, or disability status, that creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive social environment, are also prohibited.
Unwelcome conduct is conduct that the member did not solicit or invite; which the member regards as undesirable or offensive; and that the member expresses to be offensive or undesirable to the individual acting in an offensive or undesirable manner.
The full MES Membership Handbook can be found here.